Friday, June 10, 2011

Almost week 3

Today is the 19th day after surgery. The pain that I mentioned in Day 5 left after about 3 days. I no longer take vicodin and am done with my antibiotics. Occasionally I pop an ibuprofin to help the swelling but it's not that bad. I tried to walk in a pair of crocs and OUCH!!!! Every time my toes touch the shoe, my joints are pressured and the pain is ridiculous! At this rate, I don't think I will be able to walk for at least a few more weeks. I get my sutures removed Monday (will be posting pics) but I don't think I will be capable of walking normally.

Anyone thinking about getting this surgery, be prepared for a long recovery. I can't believe how naive I was in thinking I would be back to work in 3 weeks! Yea right!!! Getting your bone chopped off, especially in a place as sensitive as your toes, will require some extensive healing. The more you push yourself to walk and get back to normal, the longer the process will take. I have accepted this and plan on putting minimal pressure on the toes even after the sutures are removed. No regrets because I hated the way my feet looked before but I would certainly recommend people be realistic and understand that it may take 6 months to a year before your toes to get completely back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment